Saturday, October 20, 2012

To Be a Child

Yesterday I got a tetanus shot for the first time in over 10 years. She gave me my shot, and then I got one of those little round bandaids that my kids always get when they get immunizations.  The last few times I got shots of any kind, I passed out.  Therefore, the nurse had me lay back and wait 15 minutes before I could leave the office.

Today, my arm is a little sore, but I no longer need the bandaid on my arm.  It is a tiny little pin-prick.  However, I keep refusing to pull the bandaid off.  And just a bit ago, it hit me why not.  I associate those bandaids with being a kid.  Where someone else is in charge and you just go along with it.  You don't have to be responsible and you don't have to make any choices, you just sit there and get your shot.  And then, if you are lucky, your mom or dad will take you to the store and buy you a can of mandarin oranges in light syrup.  (ok, that was my treat of choice as a kid...).

I am 37 years old and have been married for 15 years.  I have three beautiful (albeit feisty) boys.  I am a grown up.  But some days, I really want to be a kid again.  To not be responsible for anything or anyone, to have no major expectations, to be oblivious to the laundry on the bathroom floor and the dishes in the sink.

It's funny how childhood is so often lost on kids.  They want to grow up, they know better than their parents.  They hate the boundaries and the "forced" family vacations. Us adults, we do know better.  Days like today I am grateful to be called a "child" of God.  It is days like this, that I am glad that the Bible tells me that God has a plan.  That He is in control.  That He loves me and considers me His kid.    And I don't always have to have it all figured out and I can mess up.  Days like today I say to God, "Okay - the day is yours...just pick me up and take me where you want me to go.  Provide what you know I need, not what I think I want.  Maybe then I can take a moment where I don't feel the need to "DO" but can simply "BE."